Come travel with me to...

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Beautiful weather becomes Beautiful days

After having to work all weekend, I got to experience a beautiful day on Sunday and the weather that came with this week. It was crazy to drive down the street and see almost every house with people outside enjoying the weather. The way it has been this week is how it should be always, the great weather really brings out the best in people and makes them want to enjoy the outdoors. This is just the thing we need to start out the studying for the last exams of the semester and finals week. 
This week has started out great! I now can wake up and eat breakfast out on the deck and listen to all the birds that are enjoying the same thing as I am. I love when the birds come out, thats why I got a bird feeder last week for all of them to enjoy. 


This plastic one may be not be so attractive to birds but I plan on bringing back the type of bird feeder I use to make when I was a kid. It was very simple to make, all you need is a fairly big pine cone, string, peanut butter, a plate and bird seed. 

  • First you tie a foot long string to the top of the pine cone so there is enough left on each side to be able to tie around a branch of the tree you plan to hang the bird feeder on.
  • Next you cover the pine cone with peanut butter with a spoon.
  • Then you pour some bird seed out on the plate and roll the peanut butter covered pine cone in it, making sure to cover all the peanut butter with bird seed
  • Finally you hang your homemade bird feeder on a tree of your choice and let the birds enjoy!
I got my inspiration to bring back some of the arts and crafts I use to do when I was in 4-H as a kid when I went to the Gibbs house on Sunday. We made some really sweet flowers out of used pop bottles. They are cute decorations and help us reuse instead of consuming new products.

Also in a way to enjoy the weather on Sunday, a group of me and my friends went to the beach, the water was too cold to swim in, but it was a beautiful sight. There were small dunes all over the beach from the higher tide I believe. It was nice to just get away and enjoy some where we can't everyday. 

For all you who didn't know, Saturday is the free admissions day at the Nature Center. I plan to go around noon and walk the trails. It will be 55 out but there is a 70% chance of rain so make sure to bring a umbrella. I'm hoping that it ends up being dry and nice but it won't wreak the day if it does rain. 

Hope to see you there!

1 comment:

  1. Man, we did that when I was a kid too... I tried doing that last summer with the youth camp I worked at (I was the nature teacher) and all they did was try to eat the peanut butter and throw sticky pine cones at each other!! LoL But hey, the bird seed still got spread!

    The pop bottle flowers are cool though!

    ReplyDelete